Jefferson County and Southern Indiana have no lack of amazing outdoor adventure destinations. Even if nothing organized is happening, you can always spend an incredible weekend at Jefferson Memorial, The Parklands, or any of our neighboring forests, bodies of water, and green spaces. But everybody knows the 502 and 812 rarely has a weekend without outdoor festivals, workshops, walks/runs, obstacle course races, and on and on. At BAREfit, one of our goals is to be your adventure liaison. So whenever possible, we will seek out great events around town, and spread the word. Below you will find some outdoorsy, nature-focused, adventure-driven events for you and yours to check out this weekend.
(note: no doubt there's stuff we miss, so feel free to add more recommendations to comments section below)
- Backyard Beneficial Insects Workshop: You don't have to treat your lawn or cover your foliage in chemicals that don't discriminate the good bugs from the bad. Keep your yard and garden butterfly- and pollinator-friendly with #bugsnotdrugs! Workshop attendance is $25 and includes a sample of beneficial insects to introduce to your yard or garden. Please call or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Yoga For Competition Posing @ The Factory Gym: This yoga based class is specifically designed for competitors of all divisions. Instructor, Alex Carnavale, intentionally chooses poses to build mental connection with muscle activation, strength & stability, and flexibility, to assist competitors with their posing.
- Louisville Grows Seeds & Starts: Need starts for your garden? Looking for an easier way to grow your veggies? Come check out the famous Seeds and Starts Sale on April 15 at the People's Garden (536 N. 44th St) from 10am - 4pm! ALL sorts of plant starts for your garden including kale, tomatoes, peppers, leafy greens, beets, and more. Instead of waiting around for a seed to germinate and sprout, you simply put the whole plant in the ground and it starts producing in just a few weeks. Easy-peasy!
- ZooPoopyDoo Compost and Mulch Sale: Get your garden ready for spring with unique, high-quality ZooPoopyDoo compost and hardwood bark mulch. I mean, why not include some elephant poop in your garden? That's a damn good conversation starter isn't it?
- Raptor Day @ Charlestown State Park: See live Birds of Prey from the Hardy Lake Dwight Chamberlin Raptor Center. Take a hike in search of songbirds! Make your own pine cone bird feeder! Build a Bird Nesting Bag! All this and more! At the Clark Shelter. Free with regular park admission.
- Warrior's Path Cleanup @ Falls Of The Ohio: A day of service to sustainability led by Warrior's Path. There will be conducting a "police call" (trash pick up) at the Falls. The Falls area needs our help. This is a veteran led event, and a great way of answering the call. Lunch and a tour of the museum will be provided. Wearing old clothes is suggested and feel free to bring a guest.
- Nature Photography With Your Smart Phone: Interpretive Naturalist Alan Goldstein will lead this exploration of the Falls of The Ohio. Adults and kids are encouraged to use their smart phones to capture photos, and enjoy a fun day together. You may even find some dino fossils. It's possible right?
No matter where you choose to #MakeTheWorldYourPlayground this weekend, make it a great one!